Sunday, October 21, 2012

Review: A Discovery of Witches


A Discovery of Witches
A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

My rating: 5 of 5 stars



I hesitate to rate books 5 stars, but this is a solid 4.5 at least. Harkness was a great story teller and while I was hesitant as I've been avoiding the paranormal bent for a bit, this was totally unexpected. More history than paranormal in its focus, the characters are fantastic and are described so well that you feel like you start to know them. The story itself is well woven and was one I couldn't put down. In fact, I had to go buy book 2 at an airport bookstore and spend too much in doing so because I couldn't handle NOT being able to start it on my trip home. Highly recommended as an enjoyable, well-told tale of forbidden love, yet told in such a fashion not to alienate those that don't enjoy the paranormal or romance. The focus is the story, the paranormal and the romance are simply background (yet important background!)



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment